Buying a domain name could be for multiple reasons today: for a website that you may want to start today, or for your business, or just as an investment for the future. It may be good to know some things before you do this. Read through this list o’ 5 to know what points you should keep in mind.
- Reputation of the reseller: Resellers are those from whom you will usually purchase your domain name(s). Make sure the reseller(s) you are dealing with is a reputed one. A simple search for reviews about the reseller may inform you about any issues that have been encountered by customers of that reseller in the past. So make sure you know about the reputation of the reseller you are dealing with;
- Domain name availability: Some domain names may be easily available, while some may be purchased by other people in the past. Do not let this discourage you. There are a lot of variations that yo can choose from that may still be available. If you were hoping to get xyz.com, and that is not available, then you can think of getting thexyz.com. Or xyz.net, or xyz.biz, xyz.co, etc;
- Domain registration period: All the resellers offer various options for the period the domain registration. What this simply means is that by registering your domain for a certain period of time (minimum is one year), that domain shall be under your ownership. If after this period expires, you do not renew your registration, someone else can register the same domain for themselves. You can also stop this from happening if you restrict domain transfer, an option that most reputed resellers give to their customers;
- Privacy options: Registration of domains requires you to provide your personal details like name, address, phone number, email ID, etc, to prove ownership. Now this information is not just collected by the reseller to clear payment and transfer ownership of your desired domain to your name, but also by the global organisation that maintains records of domain name ownership (database is known as WHOIS database). So if you do not want your private details to be displayed publicly on the internet, choose the ‘private domain registration’ option when buying your domain name. Choosing this option shall list your reseller’s corporate information under the ‘registrant details’ of your domain name;
- Features/support provided by reseller: Just getting a domain name for yourself isn’t the last step. After domain name registration, you may want to route your website/blog through this new domain name that you purchased. You may not be a tech genius to be able to do that yourself, so see if your reseller provides supports you in such situations. Also, look at other options that your reseller may be providing (hosting, website designing, etc).If you like the comfort of getting all your services from under one roof, then buying other required options from the same reseller may be a good idea.
Good luck with your purchase, and thank you for reading!